Useful Turabian Paper Style Guide
Pay attention to the following guidelines in order to submit properly formatted works in Turabian style.
- Make 1inch margins, use Times New Roman 12 font and double spacing.
- The above-mentioned rules may not be applied to footnotes, references, picture captions, bibliographies, block quotes, and reference page.
- In the Turabian format, the title page is not numbered. In case there is a table of contents, the title page will be marked as "i".
- Verbs are used in the active voice.
- Choose one of the two citation styles, i.e. a Reference Page style or a Bibliography one. Make sure that instructions provided by your teacher indicate which one to select.
- When you make a reference to the source which data are in footnotes, use Ibid. to make the quotation shorter.
- The Bible has to be cited in footnotes and not in the bibliography list.
Formatting the Main Body
Below, there are a few variants of formatting headings in the Turabian style:
- First: centered heading, bold or italicized, the headline-style capitalization is used
- Second: headline-style capitalization, centered, regular type font
- Third: flush left, headline-style capitalization, in bold or italics
- Fourth: roman type, flush left, sentence-style capitalization
- Fifth: heading is placed at the beginning of paragraph (no any blanks after it, bold or italicized, sentence-style capitalization, period).
- The second line and all the following lines of each entry have to be indented. You can use a Turabian citation style template to see how everything should be arranged.
Bibliography Page Style
- Single author book
Writer's First and Last Names, the Title of Book: Its Subtitle (Publication Place: the name of the Publisher, Publication Date), XX-XX.
- Book with a few authors
The Full Name of the first and second Authors, the Title of the Book: Its Subtitle (Publication Place: Publisher's Name, Publication Date), XX-XX.
- Printed Journal Article
The First and Last Names of the Author, "Title of the Article: Its Subtitle," The Title of Journal and Volume Number (Publication Date): XX-XX.
- Article in an Online Journal
The First and Last Names of the author, "Title of the Article: Its Subtitle," Title of the Journal and Volume Number (Publication Date), the access date, URL.
Formatting Bibliography According to the Turabian Style Format:
- Single author or editor book
The Last Name of the author, his/her First Name. Title of the Book: Its Subtitle. Place of Publication: The Name of the Publisher, Publication Date.
- Book with two and more authors
The Last and First names of Author #1, and the First and Last Names of Author #2. Title of the Book: Its Subtitle. Publication Place: Publisher's Name, Publication Date.
- Article in a Printed Journal
Author's Last and First Names. "Title of the Article: Its Subtitle" Title of the Journal and Volume Number (Publication Date): YY-YY.
- Article in an Online Journal
Author's Last and First Names. "Title of the Article: Its Subtitle" Title of the used Journal and Volume Number (Date of Publication). Access Date. URL.
Formatting Sources in a Reference List in Turabian Writing Style:
Author's Last and First Names. Publication Year. Title of the Book: Its Subtitle. City: Publisher.